Senior Platform Engineer
Hi there. We’re Bumped. A tech company on a mission to build meaningful relationships between companies and their customers by turning loyal shoppers into shareholders. Along the way, we make the (traditional, sometimes stodgy) stock market more approachable and understandable.
You can see the details about our culture in the section below, but to summarize: we’re building something great to help turn everyone into an owner. We partner with banks, brands, and businesses that are passionate about relationships with their customers and want to give a compelling, new reward. It's not about us. It's about consumers and the companies they love, loving them back.
We are entering an exciting time at Bumped and are looking to build out the engineering team to compliment our growing business. We are looking for passionate engineers who are not afraid to dive in and “own it”. As an early stage start-up, you will have a direct impact on the direction of the platform as we scale to millions of users.
As a Senior Platform Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, implementation, delivery and maintenance of a large-scale distributed ecosystem consisting of numerous inter-connected microservices and applications. The languages and tools we use most frequently are:
- Google Cloud Platform (including Datastore, PubSub, Storage, Dataflow, etc)
- Kubernetes & Docker
- GraphQL, REST & gRPC
- Integrations with a variety of 3rd party APIs
As a Senior Platform Engineer, you can expect to:
- Actively participate in architecture discussions, code reviews and cross department meetings.
- Work closely with engineers, product and other stakeholders to review business problems, define requirements and collaborate on solutions.
- Demonstrate initiative in taking ownership of key system components.
- Negotiate with and get buy-in from peers on design approaches.
Experience & Skills
Humility is our #1 job requirement. We hope that candidates will bring their competencies and expertise, not their ego.
You may be a good fit if you have some or all of:
- 5+ years of experience programming in distributed systems or microservices
- Experience in cloud native environments such as GCP or AWS
- Contribute to or experience with large Kotlin or Java code bases
- Experience building event driven systems using technologies such as Google PubSub, SNS/SQS or RabbitMQ
- Experience with stream processing tools such as Apache Beam or Dataflow
- Experience maintaining and deploying container based applications
- Take pride in creating simple, readable and maintainable code
- Think of yourself as someone who wants to be a part of a growth stage startup
- Break down large feature requests into small, iterative deliverables
We have a preference for:
- Demonstrated track record of quickly ramping up on new technologies
- Experience in fintech or other highly regulated industries
- Individuals who are motivated by understanding and executing on the company’s top priorities
- Someone who has a desire to work in a cross-functional team environment
Working at Bumped
Here at Bumped, we believe in a culture of leadership. That means that all of our employees...
Own It: Leaders own results—whether things go right or wrong. We hold ourselves and each other accountable, we learn from our mistakes, we don’t point fingers.
Get the Big Picture: Always seek to understand what’s happening beneath the surface—from how we make company decisions to how your team prioritizes projects. Ask questions when you don’t understand directives or decisions. It’s much easier to believe in a mission when you fully understand it, as opposed to doing so simply because it was a directive.
Assess Your Alignment: Make sure everything you do—on an org, team, or project-level—is aligned with our overarching company goals and values. We must move in the same direction, or nothing will get done.
Be Advanced Humans: We value diversity, inclusivity, and humility. We’re working hard to do something big, and we never lose sight of ethics and respect for all.
Let’s build something great, together
Bumped is still in the early stages of our mission to make everyone an owner, we love the energy and creativity that happens when we are together. So, while we are open to hiring remotely for this position, we prefer people who are in the Portland area and can join us for collaboration sessions to keep the ideas flowing.
We have an amazing open office space in downtown Portland with room to grow. Assistance is provided to support multiple modes of transportation.
Bumpers currently have the option to work from home or in the office. In the coming months we will encourage people to return to the office with the flexibility of working from home when it makes sense to be happy and productive.
If Bumped’s mission resonates and you feel like a fit for this role, submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Make sure to include the role title in the subject line.